Iceland - San Francisco (Bay Area), Los Angeles, San Diego, CA - Backpacking, Glacier Trekking, Bicycle Tour, Camping - SAANO Adventures
Iceland is one of our favorite adventure destinations. Its culture was founded upon the nation’s Norse and Gaelic settlements, first appearing in the year 870, with a history rich in Viking lore and tales of elves and trolls. Volcanoes and glaciers dominate the landscape, illuminated by the majestic Northern Lights. This is place truly guarantees the adventure of a lifetime.
The Laugavegur hiking trail is the most scenic route through the wild Icelandic Highlands, one of the last untouched wilderness areas in Europe. We will trek through colorful rhyolite mountains, huge and rugged glaciers, screaming hot springs, rivers of every shape and size, peaceful lakes, narrow ridges, immense waterfalls, deep canyons and panoramic views of the North Atlantic Ocean. There are very few places in the world that offer such diverse landscapes and vistas.
Here we will find one of Iceland’s best kept secrets as we link Iceland’s Southern Highlands to its southern coastline. You will see and do what most of the population only dreams of, and very few will ever try.
- Hotel stay in Reykjavik before and after trek
- Transport between airport and hotel
- All park and camping fees
- Tents (additional fee if single-supplement is requested)
- Transport between Reykjavik and trailheads at start and finish of trek
- Services of licensed, experienced, English-speaking guides
- Licensed assistant guides and cooks
- Three quality meals a day during trek
- Select meals in Reykjavik as per daily itinerary
DOES NOT INCLUDE
- International Airfare
- Travel Insurance
- Some meals before and after trek
- Cost of showers along the trail
- Tips for your driver/guides/cook
- Sleeping bags and sleeping pads are required, and can be rented with advanced arrangements.
Accommodations in Reykjavik will be at a comfortable hotel or guest house, in the city center area. Double-occupancy rooms, close to restaurants and bars.
ON THE TREK
While trekking between camps our duffel bags, tents, sleeping bags, ground pads, food and cooking equipment for our nightly camping will be transported via 4x4 vehicle. You should only carry a day-pack with your rain gear, extra layer, camera, valuables, water, sunscreen, etc. Weather is extremely variable and impossible to predict in the Icelandic Highlands. Therefore, you should always be prepared for wet days and cold nights.
Three meals a day are provided (where indicated on the itinerary), including delicious vegetarian options (please identify any dietary restrictions upon registration). Vegan options are generally not available, please contact us before registering if you maintain a vegan diet. Breakfasts will include foods such as eggs, sausage, toast or pancakes, hot cereal, fruit and juice, tea and coffee. Trail lunches will be simple sandwiches with chips, cookies or other snacks. Dinners will include meat dishes of beef, chicken or fish, fresh vegetable dishes, pasta, rice, potatoes, homemade soups, fresh fruits, desserts, juice, tea, coffee.
This trip has a 90 day cancellation policy. Cancellations outside of 90 days will receive receive a full refund. Cancellations between 60-90 days will receive a 50% refund. Cancellations within 60 days are no longer eligible for refund.
We do understand that unforeseen circumstances, injury or illness do come up, for this reason, we highly recommend that you purchase travel insurance as soon as you book your trip.
- A portion of the fees for each reservation is given to the parks department for conservation and sustainability. We appreciate your willingness to be a part of the effort to conserve our wild resources so that others can enjoy them after us.
QUICK VIEW ITINERARY
- DAY 1: Arrive in Reykjavik and transfer to hotel
- DAY 2: Depart Reykjavik for Landmannalaugar, trek to Hrafntinnusker
- DAY 3: Trek from Hrafntunnusker to Álftavatn
- DAY 4: Trek from Álftavatn to Emstrur (Botnar)
- DAY 5: Trek from Emstrur (Botnar) to Básar, Þórsmörk
- DAY 6: Trek from Básar, Þórsmörk to Skógar
- DAY 7: Sólheimajökull Glacier hike and ice climbing, return to Reykjavik
- DAY 8: Tour of Reykjavik on bicycles, visit to the Blue Lagoon and transport to airport.
See detailed itinerary for WILD ICELAND
To be fully prepared for this trip and really enjoy yourself, you will need to take your training seriously. Engaging in as many long, hard hikes as possible is a great way to prepare for your trek. Experience carrying a 20lb backpack several days in a row is a must. Participants should be mentally and physically prepared for strenuous activities in adverse weather conditions. Look for hikes like the Lost Coast Trail to test your training and abilities.
HOW TO PACK
Please find a full pack list here. From this list you can choose to purchase the items, but mostly we just want you to get a visual of the type of product that you will need to have. Keep in mind that cotton should not be worn outside of Reykjavik.
MEET YOUR GUIDE
We'd like you to get to know your guide before your trip, please follow this link to see your guide's bio page.